Absolute Aberration Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Story - 'The Artist'

Go down

Character Story - 'The Artist' Empty Character Story - 'The Artist'

Post by MarlonTehOne Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:01 pm

Character Story - 'The Artist' Elan_Morin_Tedronai

Jacklyn L'Artiste
'The Artist'

"Night as dark as as my thoughts set the scene for my return
Lightning nips at my feet as I race home
Wearily I stagger towards the sound of her pale voice
Demons jeer at my attempts to be free."

Story

The Wheel of Time keeps turning - legends come and fade. I find myself in a new area - some God-forsaken part of Russia, I think. I have been here for two weeks now and I am not sure yet how I feel about this place. My thoughts are still filled with the vision of my sweet Annabel and I am growing more insane by the day - I can feel it. I wish to die for the things I have done. For the people I have hurt and slain. But I know I cannot, for my task is not yet finished.

My first goal is one of mutual benefit for me and humanity. Each conquest needs their keeper. Their...librarians. I will record my experiences in a journal I shall carry with me at all times. When this is all over I shall spread my knowledge. The things that happened during this war should never be forgotten.

My other goal is one of a more questionable nature. I still seek him, you know. That cursed figure from my past. The devil that stood on my doorstep so many years ago, grinning at me as the moon was reflected on his bloodstained knife. The Thespian. I feel like I have seen him here. I -know- I have seen him here. I shall seek him out and avenge my poor Annabel, for I still refuse to believe I was the one who has murdered her.

If anyone would stumble upon these pages clasped in my dying hands, I would ask you not to write this off as the ramblings of a madman. I admit, I am clearly insane, but I believe these words will still proof useful one day.

One day, in a different era. An era of peace and brotherhood.

Relationships

Villified | Hated | Suspicious | Indifferent | Liked | Trusted |  Romantical Interest  |  Awed

'Annabel' - "I still see her reflection in windows, sometimes. She stares at me, motionless, an unknown expression on her lips. I used to writhe at the gaze from my former lover, but I grew to ignore it. Figments of my imagination, to be sure.

My sweet Annabel.... I still remember the day we met. In that cursed City, so far away. So long ago. I remember our first kiss, our nightly walks, our hidden passionate moments.

I remember waking up, a bloodstained quill in my hands. Your pale face looking up at me, your eyes glossed over. I could have married you. Instead I buried you."

'The Thespian' - "But what is it that I'm chasing?

I'm not really chasing anything at all. Am I simply drowning myself in revenge to avoid the horrifying truth?
I've lost the only thing that made me feel truly alive. Are my hands responsible?

Who was he? Who was the mad man that stood before me that night? I swear I've seen his face before.

I know I've seen his face before."

[...]

I knew it. He's here. I've seen him. Others have seen him. He has followed me.
Why does he insist on tormenting me? I chased him, abandoning the camp. He let me on quite a run, eventually turning to confront me. I tried to strike him in the heart but he disarmed and wounded me. I ran, tail between my legs, as he laughed.
That laugh. There isn't a more terrifying sound in the world.

'Lord Bags' - "He was one of the first I met in that cursed ineu pass. A good man, a jolly man. He was a bright light in this darkness that engulfed humanity. He made quips, laughed often and was generally a pleasant experience to be around.

But he died.

The Iron Inquisition got to him, apparently. The Ghost Regiment, to be more exact. Cloaked figures watching the valley. According from Lord Corns, a good friend of him, he was killed by a female Inquisitor. One of the ones I have met perhaps?

His grave now lies on the flat stroke of grass before the valley itself. God rest his soul."

'Lord Strokes' - [s]"A man that arrived here later than me. A few days, according to his story. A good man, if a bit nervous. A great man. After the things I've gone through with him and my other two companions I dareso call him a friend.

I don't know if the feeling is mutual anymore, however. After my frenzy in the caves I regards me with suspicion. I don't blame him. But I can't help but feel... hurt? A gaping pit in my stomach. Is this what it feels to have disappointed a friend?

I hope I can win his trust back.

[...]

I... he's dead?
I weep for my friend dearly, but I can tell he wouldn't do so if the roles were reversed. He went to the grave suspecting me. Fearing me. Hating me.
It's tearing me apart.

Forgive me, Lord Strokes.

'Cardinal' - "Her resemblance to Annabel is frightening. Not her personality, mind you, but her appearance. When I first laid eyes on her I had the urge to laugh like a maniac. I thought my insanity finally reached it's climax when she replied to my inquiries.

She was the only one willing to give me a second chance after the accident with the quill. She even gave it back to me, shortly after, confirming her confidence in me. I wasn't sure whether to feel humbled or worried at her ease of trusting me.

Yet... - and here comes the awkward part - I have been looking at her than more of a companion. I've felt nauseous each time she looked me in my eyes - hers resembling Annabel's so perfectly. I've volunteered to watch over her while the others went gathering supplies so that I could have a talk with her.

I think...she might be the one I have to ask. I was interrupted last time, but as soon as the chance presents itself, I will make the request I know is necessary.

[...]

I asked her and she promised. Finally my nerves are settled. The nightmares have stopped; The Thespian held at bay. Still, I wonder if she has the actual persistence to go through with it. As much as I'm fond of her, she seems to value the group's safety above all. Even above survival, I wonder?

I told her how I felt about her. I /think/ the feeling is mutual, but she still keeps her distance from me. I don't blame the poor girl, really. I curse myself for throwing myself at her so carelessly, but I cannot resist.
Like, a moth. Fluttering towards a flame. The only flame he desires.

[...]

She is mine and I am hers. I no longer see my long-forgotten wife when I gaze in her eyes. My smiles have become genuine and my heartbeat quickens each time I lay eyes on her.

Yet I wonder what would happen should I lose her. Would I go back to being the man I used to be, lonely and insane? Will my episodes return and will I slaughter anyone in my path just like that night at the tavern a lifetime ago? I do not know. I do not wish to know.

[...]

She's gone. The Wraiths took her. The pain is even more overwhelming than the night Annabel died. Perhaps it's because I couldn't control losing Cardinal? Did I really murder my wife, then?
I'm broken. There's nothing left for me to lose, except confusion.

I know what to do. There's only one person left in this God-Forsaken world that could help me. And the last time I saw him, we fought.
Not this time, though.

She betrayed me. [The single, meaningful sentence would be followed with almost an entire page of striped-through paragraphs.]

'Alicia' - "A strong woman with a sense of honor, loyalty and kindness. I met her while taking a stroll. She was hiding in a truck, watching for danger. She's suspicious, but only because she genuinely wants to guard the other refugees against the danger of the Pass. Admirable. I will compose her a poem as well.

She has offered our group a deal where we would help her should she be in trouble. She would then supply us with food, water and weapons. As a bonus, she also told us we could call for her aid in emergencies.

[...]

After a long conversation I've found myself to trust this woman more than I should. She's lighthearted, funny and caring. Rarely have I ever met someone I felt I could talk to about anything in the world. My bond with this confidant is growing by the day.

'Duke Dayvon, Lord of the Chateau' - Me and him are more alike than I'd like to admit. I can sense his grief over the ones he loved. I can sense his anger at the Iron Empire for causing it. I suppose I should dub this man a 'scientist'. He is incredibly intelligent and wise, my previous conversations with him confirming so. I only wished he didn't speak with such an obnoxious accent. Scottish? Irish? I'll ask him next time I speak with him.

[...]

He was the one who told me about Cardinal. I had the urge to shoot him where he stood for speaking such monstrous lies. But I could see it in his poor pain-streaked eyes. The truth.
I can't inform this man of my swift department tomorrow. He wouldn't let me go. That makes abandoning him so much harder. I will write a letter to him before I leave.

I vow I will one day return, meeting him again. I swear it by Annabel. By Cardinal. By God himself.
[/b]

Last edited by MarlonTehOne on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
MarlonTehOne
MarlonTehOne

Back to top Go down

Character Story - 'The Artist' Empty Re: Character Story - 'The Artist'

Post by MarlonTehOne Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:03 pm

'Jack'

A cabin in the middle of nowhere. Darkness. Not a sound but for the soft, uneven sobbing of a man who lost it all.

He sat on his knees before a long died-out fireplace. Tears ran down his scar-filled cheeks. The man clasped something, an odd metal object. His sidearm rested peacefully in it's holster, untouched. Blood ran down his arms from fresh, shallow cuts. The door opened, the balance disturbed.

The Artist turned his gaze to the door as it swung open. A figure stepped in. He wore a coat of black but his other features were hidden by the darkness of the night. He wanted to reach out for 'Annabel' but found himself unable to. Not only was he drunk, he also didn't have the willpower to defend himself anymore.

He sighed instead, turning back to the gloomy fireplace. Ashes lay it's center. It obviously hadn't been used for a long while. He shook his head and the tears stopped coming. How long had he been here?

Laughter.

"Look at you." The Thespian said, chuckling in amusement. He had stepped forward and his face was illuminated by the small light-bulb hanging from the ceiling. "Look at you!" he said again, still laughing, "You miserable fool."

"Kill him!" God said. "It's the one you seek!" Kill him!"
The Artist had been hearing voices for as long as he remembered. He had long since accepted that he was indeed insane. He could control it, however. The voice he dubbed 'God' never stopped speaking, but he grew to ignore it's dark suggestions. He hadn't even noticed it when he as with Cardinal.

Despite himself, The Artist clasped his hands together. He closed his eyes and recited the Lord's Prayer in a soft murmur to spite the voice in his head.

"Get off your knees.", The Thespian sighed, shaking his head in disappointment. "Your prayers fall upon deaf ears. God's turned his back on you. Heaven's gates are shut. And now you're knocking on the Devil's door,"
He looked around the building and The Artist saw a sign of disgust flickering on his face.

The Artist shook his head before rising slowly. "I'm through fighting this battle, Demon. End my life. I have nothing left to lose." He paused, raising his half-empty cup filled with wine. " This can't be real. he thought to himself. Am I just going to give up like this?

The Thespian shook his head, grinning, his milky white teeth giving contrast to his chocolate-brown skin.
"On the contrary, boy. The real battle hasn't even begun. I'm glad you're too broken to chase me around like some maniac, I suppose. It was getting /tiresome/."

"Did you kill my wife?", The Artist blurted out, nearly choking in the words.
"No." his adversary replied simply, as if rejecting a snack at a party.
"Then why do you seek to torment me so, Demon?"

Again, laughter.

"Torment you, my dear boy? No, I have been /watching/ you. My employers send me to fetch you. The order reached me two years ago. I watched through the window as you jabbed that quill into your lover's stomach, over and over again. You were cackling like a madman the entire time. It was fascinating to watch."

To his surprise, The Artist felt nothing. No dread, no regret, no relief. I must've known it since the start. he thought. He threw the glass, empty now, into a corner of the building. The glass shattered loudly and it's pieces flew through the room they were standing in.

The Thespian didn't flinch. He merely looked at The Artist, grinning like a wolf about to consume his prey.

"What do you wish of me, then?" The Artist managed as curiosity briefly suppressed his grief.

"Boy, you haven't got the slightest idea," he bit, his grin turning into a scowl. "Just who I am and what I do for you. Can't you see that I'm trying to safe you?"

Save me?! The grieving man frowned, turning fully to the thickly-clad male. "Hold your tongue, demon. I'm not in the mood for your silver tongue."

The Thespian turned, leaving the door open. "Follow me if you want to know the truth, Jack." And with that, he disappeared back into the night.

The Artist followed. He didn't know why.

The Seeker

Alland gazed at the cabin from afar, frowning. His associate had been gone for only ten minutes, but knowing the man he was with, that would be more than enough time for something bad to happen.
Just as the thought crossed his mind, however, two figures walked out of the cabin. Eagerness and relief filled Alland as Liam strolled casually towards him, smiling. Behind him trailed the thing he was so obsessed with.

The Artist. Jacklyn L'Artiste. The man he chased for two years. A man insane. A genius.

Alland looked up at his colleague as they arrived, shivering. The tall, thickly made man was even more intimidating in the night than he was in the comfort of the sun. He wore a thick coat made of black, concealing the items Alland knew he was carrying. He wore reflective glasses that obscured most of his face. The most frightening part of him, however, was his grin.

The shorter man shook off those silly thoughts, reminding himself of his duty. He did not like Liam, but Alland knew he was capable. One of the most capable seekers his organisation had, actually. Everyone back at Ascension knew it was personal amusement that took him so long to finally bring L'Artiste.

"And?", Alland asked, eyebrow raised.
"And what?" Liam replied offhandedly, the man behind him remaining silent.
"Is he willing to come?"
Liam glanced at the wreck of a man, smiling. "I think he is."
"Look, Liam. I know you're obsessed over this guy for some reason, but he's clearly insane. Is that /blood/ running down his arms?"
Liam shrugged the objection away, scoffing. "Just focus on your task, son. I'll take him back to Ascension.
"Fine." Allan said, looking away from L'Artiste and his unsettling glare.
"You remember what your task is here, correct?" Liam asked, turning to him.
Alland nodded. "Just focus on getting that...thing back to the Lord Ruler."

Liam chuckled before roughly taking Alland's hand and pushing something in his palm. It was a gun, of sorts. Alland couldn't make out the model, but it was definitely a magnum. He could read the words carved into the barrel, however. 'Annabel', it read.

Alland pulled his eyes away from the weapon, his mouth open to ask Liam why he had given him this.
He was already striding away, however. The Artist glanced back at Alland but his expression was impossible to make out in the darkness. Sighing, Alland slipped the weapon into his empty holster before he started to walk towards a nearby building filled with laughter and bright lights. He hoped he packed enough books to kill the time here.
MarlonTehOne
MarlonTehOne

Back to top Go down